I noted on facebook that I finally learned the easy way to cut a mango, and I had an overwhelming amount of people demanding that I show them. Thus, this post.
You need a ripe mango, a good knife, and a cutting board. Also be prepared to get that yummy juice all over your hands.
1. The pit in a mango is really weird. It’s flat (about a half inch thick) and runs the length of the mango. Its width goes the way my finger’s pointing.
2. With your knife, find the spot about a quarter inch to one side of the center and cut down the length of the mango. If you hit the pit with your knife, just scoot it out a little and carve around it.
3. Turn your mango around and repeat.
4. Now you have three pieces… two good chunks of flesh and one pit.
5. Holding one half in your hand, cut around the edge of the skin about half an inch in.
6. Carefully peel back the skin from the flesh. (Repeat 5 & 6 with the other half) If it’s proving hard to pull off, it probably means you don’t have a good, PNG mango. It’s ok to use your knife to help it.
7. You can try to get little slivers of flesh from the piece with the pit, but to you it might not be worth it.
8. You can now cut up your mango to be eaten, frozen, or dried. Or you can just chuck it all into a blender with coconut milk and frozen [fresh PNG] pineapple to make yourself a tropical smoothie.
Yum… I hope this post has made your mango-eating life much easier. 🙂